Oxycodone while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephy037.

Weaning is the best approach to coming off these medications. We would recommend that if you are able to wean and stop the medications to do so by the the last month of your pregnancy to try and avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Hi,
      i have Crohn’s & endometriosis and have been taking hydrocodone 5mg up to 3xs a day for about 3 years for pain. I’m pregnant about 7 weeks and utterly scared with the opiate crisis that an obgyn won’t understand how bad the pain gets without it. And will cut me off completely. Do they do that? That can’t be safe to completely withdraw and be in pain? I will plan on getting off toward end of pregnancy for the baby but I’m still scared. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Comment

weathergirlch4,

This is a discussion you will need to have with your OB/GYN so you can explain how bad your pain is. I am unable to answer how they will opt to treat or not treat your pain during pregnancy. We recommend weaning slowly and not abruptly if they decide to have you stop this medication.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Hi everyone , I’m a first time future mommy. I don’t know how many weeks I am but I took a pregnancy test last week and it was negative, today I took 3 and all were positive. I take Percocet for pain right now and I would like to get off of them. But since I’m not far along like at all is it even harmful to the baby ? Please help me

Comment

Italianbabe:

While acetaminophen + Oxycodone is not necessarily detrimental or teratogenic to the fetus, your infant will become dependent on this opiate if you continue it.

I'd see an obstetrician quickly and take their advice as to continuing this drug. If you use it daily, the will probably have withdrawal symptoms at birth, and have to stay extra days in the nursery during withdrawal. I don't think you want this for your infant.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Hello,

I am about 20 weeks pregenant at this point and have suffered with chronic migraines since I was a young girl. I have a RX for Oxycodone. I have only taken two at a time when needed for my head and have only done this with about a week to a week in a half inbetween, due to the fact that I feel nervous about taking this during pregnancy. I don’t take them daily but I have suffered from my migraines almost everyday since becoming pregnant. Is this amount something that could possibly cause my baby to be dependent at birth? I’ve spoke to my healthcare provider but am looking for a second opinion. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Comment

Mommy of two89,

Oxycodone is rated a P2-benefits likely to exceed the risk. When taken chronically it could cause respiratory depression or withdrawal symptoms in an infant upon delivery, but if you are only taking 2 tablets once a week it should not be a problem if the dose is low.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
                InfantRisk Center
                806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the piece of mind

Comment

I have taken 30mg of Oxycodone but, have not been taking in consistently. Just every couple of days here and there for pain but, have now stopped because I'm being induced in 4 days, will my baby suffer from withdrawals?

Comment

If I stopped taking Oxycodone at 35 weeks will my daughter still suffer from any withdrawals or any other symptoms at birth or even after birth ? And how long before giving birth to avoid any symptoms of withdrawals

Comment

Rsimon14: If you've been off of oxycodone for 5 weeks, its very unlikely your infant will go through any withdrawal.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Hi
                          I am ten weeks pregnant and recently was treated for a dental abscess, I was given Oxycodone 5 mg and took it for 5 days, never more than 3 per day, the last two days only took 1. I am terrified my baby will experience withdrawal in utero. Please advise thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae100625 View Post
                            Hi
                            I am ten weeks pregnant and recently was treated for a dental abscess, I was given Oxycodone 5 mg and took it for 5 days, never more than 3 per day, the last two days only took 1. I am terrified my baby will experience withdrawal in utero. Please advise thank you.
                            Good morning,

There are no adequate and well controlled studies of oxycodone in pregnant women, but we do know that high dosages of oxycodone in rats did not lead to any birth defects. We worry about fetal withdrawal in mothers who chronically take these types of medications, especially in the third trimester. Tylenol or ibuprofen (safe in small amounts in the 1st and 2nd trimester) would be other options for pain control for you with better safety data.

Nichole Campbell, MSN, APRN, NP-C

Comment

Working...
                            X