Boneup vitamin (1000mg calcium) & Beeastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boneup vitamin (1000mg calcium) & Beeastfeeding

I need surgery on my wrist this week and I've been recommended the supplement BoneUp (by Jarrow formulas) to help my bone heal afterwards. It's 1000 mg calcium (among other things, see below). Is it safe to breastfeed my 8 month old?

VITAMIN C - (AS CALCIUM ASCORBATE) 200 MG 330% VITAMIN D3 - (AS CHOLECALCIFEROL) 1,000 IU 250%
    NATURAL MK-7 - (VITAMIN K2 AS MENAQUINONE-7) 45 MCG 60%
    CALCIUM (ELEMENTAL) - (FROM STIMUCAL™ MICROCRYSTALLINE HYDROXYAPATITE) 1,000 MG 100%
    MAGNESIUM - (OXIDE) 500 MG 130%
    POTASSIUM - (AS CITRATE) 99 MG 4%
    BORON - (AS BORON CITRATE) 3 MG N/A
    Starts
    02-21-2024
    Ends
    02-21-2024

Hello! There have not been any studies on this specific product to know if the amounts that they state are present are accurate or present in breast milk, but I can try to help you make a decision based on the upper limits of vitamins per the NIH. The upper limits include all sources including food and supplements (make sure to look at all of your vitamins/protein shakes, etc. and up the totals), so make sure you're taking this into account when looking at the risk vs. benefit of this product. It does not appear that this product is of much concern, again assuming that it is adequately labeled (some products tested have shown over 400% more than the label states).

You can look up what the USDA recommends for percentages based on your weight and age here: [url]https://www.nal.usda.gov/human-nutrition-and-food-safety/dri-calculator[/url]

Vitamin C upper limit: 2,000 mg
    Vitamin D: 5,000 IU
    Calcium upper limit: 2,500 mg
    Magnesium upper limit: 350 mg
    Potassium upper limit: 2,800 mg
    Boron upper limit: 20 mg

I hope this helps! Good luck with your surgery!

Nichole Campbell, MSN, APRN, NP-C

Comment

Working...
    X