Nuclear Thyroid Scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Thyroid Scan

I recently underwent a nuclear thyroid scan with I-123 (dosage 400) and previously was breastfeeding my 8 month old. My endocrinologist suggested pumping and dumping for 48 hours, but my son's pediatrician said there's really not much research out there to say when it's safe. I have been pumping and dumping for 2 weeks now and avoided all contact for 4 days after, but I would really love to continue breastfeeding if possible since my son has severe allergies and formula seems to be triggering symptoms. I have read a previous post on Infant Risk Center ([url]https://www.infantrisk.com/forum/forum/medications-and-breastfeeding-mothers/radioactive-drugs/1575-radiopharmaceuticals)stating[/url] that the previous recommendation was complete cessation due to cross contamination with 1-124 or I-125. Is this still a concern for some I-123? Would my hospital know the purity of the I-123 I took? I am incredibly anxious about my breast milk harming my baby's thyroid.

Good morning,

According to the American Thyroid Association and the American College of Radiology, it is recommend to discontinue breastfeeding for 3 to 4 days after a diagnostic scan with I-123 with doses over 400 MBq. If you have been pumping and dumping for 2 weeks, your milk should be more than safe to use again. The dosages and numbers associated with the isotopes given make a difference in the recommendations. If you received I-123, you are safe to breastfeed now.

Nichole Campbell, MSN, APRN, NP-C

Comment

That's great news! Is there still a risk of I-123 being contaminated with I-125 or was that only a risk in the past?

Comment

The risk of contamination is really low now as manufacturing processes have apparently improved. During manufacture of I-123, I-124 and I-125 are created. ​

Comment

Working...
        X