Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily infrared sauna use and exclusive BF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily infrared sauna use and exclusive BF?

Hello, I am interested in returning to my pre-conception lifestyle habit of frequent infrared sauna use. However, I know there is limited research on whether this is safe or not. I would like to continue EBF until my child naturally weans (currently 11m). Am I able to safely use an infrared sauna regularly?

Hi April,

As you stated, there is limited information regarding breastfeeding and infrared sauna use. There is no specific contraindication to using and infrared sauna that we know of. The biggest concern seems to be a potential decrease in milk supply. I would recommend increasing your water intake to avoid potential decrease in supply. Monitor baby for fussiness and decreased wet diapers. If this occurs, it may suggest a decrease in milk supply and cessation of the sauna may be indicated.

Nichole Campbell, MSN, APRN, NP-C
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Is there a concern about the potential exposure to toxins released by sauna use? Especially because of the lymph areas surrounding the breast, it seems like exposure to toxins in breastmilk would be a risk. Can you provide any insight into this concern?

Comment

Working...
      X