Chipped Amalgam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped Amalgam

Hello! Thank you so much for providing this service - it’s been invaluable to me over three pregnancies! I am currently exclusively nursing a 4 1/2 month old. I went to a dentist last night to get a crown on a tooth next to a tooth with an amalgam, and I pointed out that I wanted them to be cautious not to drill it or anything as I’m nursing an infant. The dentist said that research shows they’re totally fine to remove, etc. (which I understand is fine with proper precautions but got the feeling he doesn’t think any precautions are necessary). Anyway, he pointed out that my amalgam actually has a small chunk (or possibly a few small chips) missing. He checked for decay and didn’t see any so he said it’s fine to leave it until after I’m done breastfeeding if I want. I saw the recent article on amalgams (thank you so much for that!) — My question is whether there’s any data on whether chipped amalgams release more mercury than intact ones? I’m trying to weigh whether it’s more dangerous to my nursing infant to just leave it as is (with chips in it) or remove? I’m also concerned because they did do a bunch of work right up against it and the temporary crown they put it in is pressing on it. Just so worried I’m a walking mercury ball now. Wondering if it would be worth getting a mercury test?In addition to this amalgam, I have another one, both of which are probably around thirty years old. Thank you so, so much for any help you can provide!

Hi Kristin!

Let me start with saying that it is very unlikely that you are a walking ball of mercury or that you're causing any issues for your breastfed baby. I am so glad that you found our latest article to be helpful! There is a case report from 2008 that suggests that chipped amalgams may release more mercury than whole amalgams, but there has not been much solid research done regarding this specific topic. Keep in mind that an increase of almost nothing, is still almost nothing, especially since you are not breathing in vapor from your amalgams all day The risk of having them removed is also quite low and may provide you peace of mind if you are feeling anxious about it. It is our opinion that the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risk of dental work on amalgams. Here is the case report I found. Please let us know if you have any additional questions! Happy New Year!

Nichole Campbell, MSN, APRN, NP-C
    InfantRisk Center

Bamonti F, Guzzi G, Ferrero ME. Cracked mercury dental amalgam as a possible cause of fever of unknown origin: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2008 Mar 6;2:72. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-2-72. PMID: 18325096; PMCID: PMC2288608.

Comment

Working...
    X