Marijuana Use and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana Use and Breastfeeding

Before baby, since weed became legal, I would partake in gummies (5mg) sometimes at night to help me relax/with anxiety. Now that I'm postpartum and am exclusively pumping I am curious if it's similar to having a glass of wine (pump and dump) or if it's different. Thanks in advance!

Breastfeeding infants are predicted to receive very small exposures of CBD through milk​, although levels in milk may increase the more frequent these products are used. These products can have a wide variation of CBD than is actually listed on the label and many contain THC or contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, or fungus, which can be dangerous to your baby. Due to the lack of of oversight with CBD products, caution should be used when using CBD gummies while breastfeeding.

References:

Yeung CHT, Bertrand KA, Best BM, et al. Cannabidiol Exposure Through Maternal Marijuana Use: Predictions in Breastfed Infants. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2023;62(11):1611-1619. doi:10.1007/s40262-023-01307-6​

Hale, T.W., Krutsch, K., (2023). Hale's medications & mothers' milk. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company LLC.

FDA Consumer Updates: What You Should Know About Using Cannabis, Including CBD, When Pregnant or Breastfeeding. U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). October 2019. Available at: [url]https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/what-you-should-know-about-using-cannabis-including-cbd-when-pregnant-or-breastfeeding[/url].

Gardener H, Wallin C, Bowen J. Heavy metal and phthalate contamination and labeling integrity in a large sample of US commercially available cannabidiol (CBD) products. Sci Total Environ 2022;851(Pt 1):158110.

Comment

So mine aren't CBD, they are actually THC.

Comment

THC is the portion of the drug that we worry about most for baby. There have been studies showing delayed motor development and we know that THC can be found in the milk for up to 6 weeks. Due to this, we would advise against using THC gummies while you are nursing.​

Comment

Working...
        X