Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

methotrexate and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• methotrexate and breastfeeding

hi there
    I had methotrexate single dose injection (think quite high maybe 80 mg?) about 7 weeks ago. My baby was 5 days old when I had the shot and I was told to stop bf for 3 months. I had plaenta accrete which is why I needed the drug.

I have had a lot of different opinions on this drug and bf and Im wondering if I am in fact to wait for 3 months or whether I could try to re-establish safely at this stage almost 7 weeks after the injection?

I thought i had made my peace with formula feeding but I really want to bf and it is upsetting me that I cant - if there is any concrete evidence or certainty that I will be ok to feed my baby I wuld much appreciate it

Thanks

Secretarybec:

I'm sorry, but I would probably had told you to stop for 5-7 days. Methotrexate has a short half-life of at most 15 hours. Six or at most 7 times this would have been enough to safeguard your infant.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X