Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Semaglutide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semaglutide

Hi,

I am currently breastfeeding my daughter who is 17 months old. She gets regular whole milk in addition to my breastmilk. I am trying to wean her but am torn between letting her continue to breastfeed once or twice a day until she is 2 (per new AAP guidelines) and starting semaglutide that has been prescribed by my OB. My OB essentially said there wasn’t evidence so it was up to me on if I wait or not. I know there is no official published studies yet, but was hoping you had some updated info! I will add I am more concerned about it harming my baby, not worried about decrease in milk supply, etc. as she gets most of her nutrition from elsewhere. I fall in the obese category now and never have before, so trying to weigh the risk/benefit of being overweight and the consequences that come with that and the positive benefits of breastfeeding.

Hi Megan,

I suggest you look at this article, it is the most current opinion I have. It sounds like your toddler wouldn't be exposed to much drug via milk regardless.

[url]https://www.springerpub.com/blog/fighting-misinformation-on-weight-loss-drugs-the-affect-on-breastfeeding-moms/[/url]

Comment

Hi Megan! May I please ask if you decided to start semaglutide while breastfeeding? My daughter is 17 months and I am in the same predicament that you wrote about. I’d love to hear your experience. Thank you!

A

Comment

Working...
      X