magnesium citrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnesium citrate

I am 5 weeks pregnant and wondering if it is ok to take a magnesium citrate supplement? before pregnancy I was taking about 300 mg a day in powder form. thank you.

lesweeny:

Why would you want to take such a supplement? Avoid taking anything during the first trimester. I doubt that 300 mg/day is going to be a problem, since virtually none of it is absorbed any way.

In the first trimester of pregnancy, I'd suggest extraordinary caution with any medications, unless they are prescribed by your OB.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

However, milder products (e.g., stool softeners, bulk-forming laxatives) should be used whenever possible for constipation.Magnesium citrate is a saline laxative that is thought to work by increasing fluid in the small intestine!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
        lesweeny:

Why would you want to take such a supplement? Avoid taking anything during the first trimester. I doubt that 300 mg/day is going to be a problem, since virtually none of it is absorbed any way.

In the first trimester of pregnancy, I'd suggest extraordinary caution with any medications, unless they are prescribed by your OB.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
        I think suggestion is best byh admin here..

Comment

Working...
        X