Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betnesol retention enemas

Hi,

I have ulcerative colitis and have come off all medications approximately 2 months ago. We are trying to conceive our second baby. I just started noticing blood tonight so I am to take betnesol retention enemas as needed. Are these safe during pregnancy? Thanks.

Babynumber2, thanks for posting,

Betnesol is a form of betamethasone which is a category P4 in the first trimester and a P3 in the second and third trimester.When this is used in the form of betamethasone and is used in large amounts in the first trimester it can cause small birth weights, cleft palates and stillbirths. The infant should be observed for hypoadrenalism when mom receives high dose therapy. This medication is usually administered orally, by aerosol, by injection, or as a cream. I spoke with Dr Hale about this and he advised that in your situation when it is used as an enema only 25% of the amount that would be absorbed when taken orally would be absorbed from the colon. Dr Hale thinks this would be a low to moderate risk when used on a as needed basis, he advised to try to keep the dose low in the first trimester. We recommend speaking to your OB Dr before using any medication, but he thinks this would probably be ok. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X