Hydrocortisone suppositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrocortisone suppositories

I am in my second trimester and have been prescribed hydrocortisone suppositories (specifically anusol-HC). These appear to be contraindicated for pregnancy, even on a limited basis. Are these safe for me to take every time I have a hemorrhoid flare-up? And for multiple days?

Kylie Kylie,

Anusol is rated a P3-unknown-risk to fetus cannot be ruled out. "Drugs of this class should not be used extensively on pregnant patients, in large amounts, or for prolonged periods of time. Corticosteroids are generally teratogenic in laboratory animals when administered systemically in relatively low dosage levels. The more potent corticosteroids have been shown to be teratogenic after dermal application in laboratory animals. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women on teratogenic effects from topically applied corticosteroids. Therefore, topical corticosteroids should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. Drugs of this class should not be used extensively on pregnant patients, in large amounts, or for prolonged periods of time. (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). If you just use this medication very occasionally for severe hemorrhoids and for very short periods of time (3-4 days) it is probably ok since you are past your first trimester, however frequent-long term use is not recommended. Always consult your OB/GYN before using any medication.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X