Low dose naltrexone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low dose naltrexone

I take LDN 4.5mg daily as a prokinetic for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. It works great for me. The app only addresses the 50-150mg dose. Is there more info about low dose naltrexone and pregnancy? I know some fertility centers use it and Dr. Phil Boyle in Ireland has some data from his patients.

billikengirl,

We do not have any studies when low dose naltrexone is used during pregnancy, but even in higher doses the risks seem pretty low. Here is the data we have available: "There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Naltrexone has been shown to increase the incidence of early fetal loss when given to rats at doses >= 30 mg/kg/day (180 mg/m2/day;5 times the recommended therapeutic dose, based on body surface area) and to rabbits at oral doses >= 60 mg/kg/day (720 mg/m2/day; 18 times the recommended therapeutic dose, based on body surface area). There was no evidence of teratogenicity when naltrexone was administered orally to rats and rabbits during the period of major organogenesis at doses up to 200 mg/kg/day (32 and 65 times the recommended therapeutic dose, respectively, based on body surface area). There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Naltrexone should be used during pregnancy only if potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). Animal studies are not always predicative of human response.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X