Dermal fillers before pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dermal fillers before pregnancy

I would like to get dermal fuller injected in my lips but I would like to try to conceive in approx 3 months after the filler. The filler o am thinking of getting is a hyaluronic acid filler called belatero. Is it safe to get this 3 months before trying to conceive or should I wait for a longer period of time after getting the filler before trying to conceive? What’s the safest thing to do?
    thank you very much

Rowan6,

Hyaluronic acid is rated a P3-unknown-risk to fetus cannot be ruled out. "There were no well-controlled, randomized studies on the use of hyaluronic acid during human pregnancy. Hyaluronic acid should only be used during pregnancy if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the fetus. Hyaluronic acid is a polysaccharide that is present in many parts of the body such as synovial fluid, vitreous humor, and the placenta. The FDA has approved the use of hyaluronic acid for some eye surgeries. Lidocaine has been added to hyaluronic acid and used in plastic surgery as a lip filler and wrinkle reducer. Hyaluronic acid has also been used in place of albumin in the transfer of human embryos during in vitro fertilization. Because hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body, the likelihood of the substance causing fetal harm is small but until studies are done, hyaluronic acid should only be used during pregnancy if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the fetus." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale, PhD). Using hyaluronic acid three months prior to conceiving should not pose a problem.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X