No announcement yet.

amalgam removal - waiting to conceive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amalgam removal - waiting to conceive?

Hello, I am scheduled to have an amalgam filling removed and replaced with a composite. It is one of three amalgam fillings that I have. (The other two should be in good shape and will be staying put for the time being.) I’ve searched the forum and have read all of your responses to others’ questions regarding the same procedure, but I have a few questions. One, I’ve put this off for about six months already because I’m nursing my toddler and didn’t figure it would be good for him. I’m worried I won’t have my child weaned in a month when I’m scheduled to get this done. If he’s not weaned, is it bad if I continue breastfeeding a few times in a 24 hour period, or should he definitely wean before the procedure? I’m hesitant to postpone because I really want to conceive again soon. My dentist said I could conceive immediately after, but I’ve read a lot of things stating otherwise. My dentist is certified and listed on the IAOMT website and will be following the correct protocols, including rinsing with and swallowing activated charcoal. I contacted the IAOMT and was told that my dentist was likely correct but then gave me information about a study that was done and showed that waiting seven months is ideal to get mercury levels down. That left me very confused. I’ve also thought about just getting my blood mercury level tested but also read that’s not very accurate. What do you recommend with regards to waiting to conceive? I understand mercury is all around us, and I'm hoping my only exposure is from the fish in my prenatal vitamin. Ideally I'd like to conceive sooner rather than later because of my age. Sorry for the length and thank you for reading!

j1314,

"There are several routine precautions that the dentist could use when removing the old amalgam. Because heat during the grinding process can vaporize the mercury and enhance absorption by the mother, suggest that the dentist use copious amounts of cold water irrigation to minimize heat, use a rubber dam to isolate her mouth from the particles, and use an alternate source of air (oxygen) to minimize mercury vapor inhalation during removal of the amalgam." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). If your dentist uses the necessary precautions your mercury level should not rise very much if at all. Mercury has a half-life of approximately 70 days. Most of the studies suggest that mercury levels drop significantly after 2 months. Speak with your OB about this, but 2-3 months should be sufficient.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    Infant Risk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

If I don't fully wean my toddler by the time of my appointment do you think that's ok? If I'm exposed to mercury can that affect my toddler? Thank you so much for the previous reply. I'm feeling a lot less anxious now!

Comment

j1314,

As long as your dentist uses some of the precautions ( lots of cold water irrigation to minimize heat, use a rubber dam to isolate her mouth from the particles, and use an alternate source of oxygen) it should be ok.

Sandra Lovato R.N.

Comment

Working...
        X