Yerba Mate while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yerba Mate while breastfeeding

The last couple of days i have been drinking yerba mate for energy but am breastfeeding a 4 week old, the last couple of night she has been really fussy at night and not able to sleep, While trying to pinpoint if it could be something I ate I realized that yerba mate is cautioned against while breastfeeding by Dr Hale. So my question is should I pump and dump and supplement formula until it is out of my system. Or could this be side effects from my zoloft (25mg) or Ativan (.5mg 2x a day)?

jrmosley,

Yerba Mate is not recommended in breastfeeding. This product has caffeine so it is probably the reason your infant is not sleeping and is fussy. Caffeine in young infants has a half-life of 97.5 hours. Caffeine in an adult is 4.9 hours. I would wait about 12-24 hours to nurse and quit using the Yerba Mate.

Yerba mate has also been shown to increase the risk of mouth cancer, esophageal cancer, laryngeal cancer, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, and lung cancer, and is known to cause irritability in infants.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X