Fluid Behind Ear Drums - What can I take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid Behind Ear Drums - What can I take

I have had fluid behind my ear drums that I can't seem to get rid off. I don't have a cold or anything like that. What can I take that is safe during pregnancy. I am 13.5 weeks pregnant if that makes a difference.

Dear EMC,

Fluid behind your ear drums could be caused by many different things. I would suggest you see an ENT physician, and based on what he prescribes we can help you decide if it is safe to use during pregnancy.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Dear EMC,

Fluid behind your ear drums could be caused by many different things. I would suggest you see an ENT physician, and based on what he prescribes we can help you decide if it is safe to use during pregnancy.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
      InfantRisk Center
      I saw a doctor, and he said to take Sudafed or Nasacort.

Comment

Dear EMC,

Triamcinolone (Nasacort) is a typical corticosteroid that is available for topical, intranasal, injection, inhalation, and oral use. It is a class C (probably safe) drug in pregnancy. However, there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women on teratogenic effects from topically applied corticosteroids. Topical corticosteroids should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. Drugs of this class should not be used extensively on pregnant patients, in large amounts, or for prolonged periods of time.

Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) has a possible vasoconstrictive activity and findings in some case-control studies suggestive of a small increase in unusual birth defects such as gastroschisis and hemifacial microsomia, pseudoephedrine is avoided during pregnancy. Studies in humans have not been done. Studies in animals have not shown that pseudoephedrine causes teratogenic effects in the fetus. However, pseudoephedrine reduced average weight, length, and rate of skeletal ossification in the animal fetus.

Hope this helps!! For further questions contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us. Keep up the good work. Post very nicely written and it contains useful facts.

Comment

Working...
          X