Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoloft and pregnancy

Hello,

I am in my first trimester of pregnancy and am on Zoloft. I am very concerned about the well being of the baby due to being on this medication. What is your opinion about this?

Thanks in advance!

Kerentp:

Relax. Millions of babies have been exposed to Sertraline (Zoloft) during pregnancy, and the outcome is normal. We occasionally see a mild withdrawal reaction in less than 30 percent of infants after delivery, but this is without complication and goes away in 1-2 days.

I urge you to continue your medication as it is the best chance for a good outcome of your pregnancy. Please do not stop, as the return of depression while pregnant is almost 70 percent. Please confer with your obstetrician and I'm sure he/she will confirm this drugs safety.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    PRofessor
    Last edited by admin; 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much, Professor Hale. My mind is more at ease now....

Comment

Thanks to provide good information and i am searching from many times.

Comment

Does this also go for fluoxetine (Prozac)?

Comment

Jessm,

Prozac (fluoxetine) crosses the human placenta. Some studies suggest that there is an association between the use of fluoxetine in the first trimester and cardiovascular malformations, but other studies refute it. Fluoxetine use during the third trimester does not seem to cause any complications to the fetus and neonate. Meta-analysis reviews have not proven any relationship between fluoxetine usage in the first trimester and congenital malformations in humans. Human studies linking the use of this product with birth defects are not available. Use only if the benefit to the mother exceeds the potential risk to the fetus. Remember that 1-3% of all pregnancies can result in a birth defect due to chance alone.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
            InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
            X