Wellbutrin, Lamictal during pregnancy and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin, Lamictal during pregnancy and breastfeeding

I am a 40 year old new mommy taking Lamictal (300mg) and Wellbutrin (150mg) for depression and am in my 12th week of pregnancy. I have done a lot of research on these meds and came to the conclusion that taking them posed less of a risk to the baby and to me than not taking them. I know that there are issues with Lamictal and seizure disorders though I have found it hard to distinguish fetal development issues separate from seizure disorders (which I understand poses some risks in itself). My concern is that the combination of the two drugs will cause problems during the pregnancy and that I won't be able to breastfeed. I know the baby will receive less of the drugs from breast milk than it's receiving now but I'm not willing to put him/her at risk once he/she is born. Can someone point me in a direction or give me some information on medication combinations? I'll take any advice I can get....

Thanks.

Sara:

I think the combination is probably OK. Remember, these two drugs act independently (this is not true for all drugs, obviously). And you are correct, the infant will receive far less while breastfeeding than during gestation.

And you are certainly correct, that the risk of depression, far outweighs the risk of these two drugs. I'd suggest you continue breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Depression and anxiety rebound seriously during pregnancy, and you should have stayed on them. These meds are generally considered safe for use during pregnancy, MUCH safer than untreated depression and anxiety.

Comment

Working...
      X