Took Prozac during pregnancy-healthy baby but with reflux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took Prozac during pregnancy-healthy baby but with reflux

I have a six month old that has pretty bad reflux. The doctor says it will get better as he grows out if it. It breaks my heart because I know it was my fault for taking fluoxetine. I tried to go off my meds but I just couldn't- I was a mess. With the additional hormones plus my usual anxiety and depression, I felt unable to function. But now I see how uncomfortable he is when he eats and it just makes me want to cry. I haven't told his pediatrician about my meds but I'm thinking of mentioning it at our next appointment. I just want to be open about it for his sake. The goodness is he's gaining weight and appears to be healthy in every other way. Thank God.

Jessm:

I've never heard of any relationship between fluoxetine and reflux. Many infants have reflux, its just part of raising a child and it has nothing to do with fluoxetine. This is your depression speaking, and not medical logic. I could not find a single paper in the PubMed database concerning pediatric reflux and fluoxetine.

Your pediatrician is right, he'll grow out of it. Almost all infants will grow out of it by the time they can set up.

Relax. It had nothing to do with fluoxetine.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    Professor
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X