Cymbalta concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbalta concerns

Before getting pregnant I was on 90mg of Cymbalta a day. I stopped it cold the day I found out I was pregnant and ended up suffering terrible withdrawal symptoms. Fast forward to today. I've had my baby, he will be 6 months in 2 weeks and will sobs starting foods then. I am considering taking Cymbalta again but only 30mg once a day for the horrible nerve pain I am in. I know if I take it my nerve pain will subside. My concern is that my doctor told me I should stop breastfeeding and give my baby formula. I don't want to do that. But I am concerned of what could happen with my baby if I take th Cymbalta. I don't really understand the blood levels and plasma results. I also dont know what the long term effects are if any. Could this make him develop autism? I don't know what to do or think. All I know is that I am in a considerable amount of pain and know the Cymbalta will help with my physical and emotional pain. Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Cymbalta is a fairly safe drug to use in breastfeeding, even at 90mg. Only about 1% of your daily dose is transferred to an exclusively breastfeeding infant. Some women on Cymbalta find that it makes their babies a little more sleepy than they are comfortable with. This side effect is uncommon and there are ways around it so that you can continue breastfeeding. There are no long-term effects of Cymbalta that we know of, nor is there a connection with autism. We recommend that you start taking this drug at a dosage that controls your pain and stabilizes your emotions. If your baby has problems with alertness on this medication, call us at the number below and we'll help you figure out a solution.

(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X