Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 mg of setraline & 2 mg of lorazapram

Hi,
    I am wanting to have another child and I am currently taking 100 mg of setraline and 2 mg of lorazapram. Should I wean off the lorazapam first? What dosage is safe in pregnancy with setraline?
    Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your post.

Millions of babies have been exposed to Sertraline during pregnancy at dosages up to 200mg/day, and the outcome is normal. We occasionally see a mild withdrawal reaction in less than 30 percent of infants after delivery, but this is without complication and goes away in 1-2 days.

Lorazepam and other medications in the same class have been liked to a low rate of birth defects in the first trimester. I am unable to find studies that comment on safety in the second trimester. Use in the third trimester has been associated with a withdrawal syndrome in the infant. In other words, lorazepam should not be your first choice of anxiety medication while pregnant, but it may be reasonable to start back on a low dose around week 30.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

James Abbey, MD
    and
    Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X