Trileptal and pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trileptal and pregnancy

I have epilepsy and take trileptal 900 mg daily. When I'm pregnant, I reduce my dose to 300mg. I did this with my first child, and had no problems. I was told I couldn't nurse my baby because of my medication passing through the milk. But now that I'm planning on a another baby, I want to know if the 300 mg dose is safe to be pregnant while taken and can I breastfeed safely?
    Thanks!!

Dear Mom621,

Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) is a derivative of carbamazepine (Tegretol). We do not have breastmilk levels on oxcarbazepine, but one small study showed complete transfer of the drug transplacentally. Five days after delivery, the drug level in the breastfeeding infant declined significantly and no side effects were reported by the authors of the study. Dr. Hale states this medication is moderately safe (L3) for breastfeeding. The time the medication will be highest in your breastmilk will be 4.5 hours after you take your dose so try to avoid breastfeeding at that time. The typical adult dose is 300 to 600 mg twice daily so you are within that range. Observe your infant for sedation.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X