UTI first trimester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTI first trimester

I am in my first trimester (6 weeks pregnant) and am starting to get a UTI. What antibiotics are considered safest for treating a UTI during first trimester? I am allergic to amoxicillin, augmentin and ceftin. Thank you

mcd03,

We are not in the position to tell you which antibiotic your Dr should prescribe. We do not know which medication your organism is sensitive or resistant to. The best thing would be discuss with your Dr a couple of options and we could tell you the safety of those particular medications. If they did not do a culture and sensitivity a common medication used is Macrobid (nitrofurantoin). Macrobid is rated a P2-Benefits likely to exceed the risk. "An increase in malformations in human pregnancy has not been established after exposure to nitrofurantoin during pregnancy. Several reproduction studies have been performed in rabbits and rats at doses up to six times the human dose and have revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to nitrofurantoin." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X