Methylcarbol Safe During Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methylcarbol Safe During Pregnancy

I was just wondering if this medication is safe for pain relief during pregnancy, or what the risks involved are since there has already been some use(albeit now discontinued.) I was sure I read that it was safe, and I have taken it a few times now since I was 16 weeks. I am now 26 weeks and there seem to be no problems but I am very concerned for the baby because what I am reading now says it may be unsafe and could cause birth defects.
    Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Methocarbamol has not been specifically studied in pregnant women. There have been some reports of birth defects following exposure to this drug, but there is not sufficient evidence to say that the drug *caused* those problems. The background rate of spontaneous birth defects (i.e. without any particular trigger) is around 1-3% in the United States. Most medications that cause birth defects do so mainly during the first trimester, when the baby is forming its organs. Keep up with your OB appointments so that any problems, how ever unlikely, can be spotted early.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X