been taking hydrocodone for over year / 5 weeks pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been taking hydrocodone for over year / 5 weeks pregnant

So I’ve been on 5/350 hydrocodone for over a year now - mostly 1 per day at night (sometimes 2 if really bad or been super active that day or traveling) for my back/pelvis pains from an old car accident before kids which got re injured after my two kids jumped on my back. Fast forward to this morning and I come to find out I am about 5 weeks pregnant with our 3rd- big surprise - not expected. Did some googling and am scared out of my mind. Took my last one last night. Planning on not taking anymore but from what I read this is the time when birth defects happen and hydrocodone can cause them?

Kerblynn,

"There does not appear to be an increased risk of major congenital anomalies if used in the first trimester but the numbers are small. (Briggs & Koren) Babies born to mothers who have been taking opioids regularly prior to delivery will be physically dependent. The withdrawal signs include irritability and excessive crying, tremors, hyperactive reflexes, increased respiratory rate, increased stools, sneezing, yawning, vomiting, and fever. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Hydrocodone tablets should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.Nonteratogenic Effects Babies born to mothers who have been taking opioids regularly prior to delivery will be physically dependent. The withdrawal signs include irritability and excessive crying, tremors, hyperactive reflexes, increased respiratory rate, increased stools, sneezing, yawning, vomiting, and fever. The intensity of the syndrome does not always correlate with the duration of maternal opioid use or dose. There is no consensus on the best method of managing withdrawal." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you Sandra, so if stopped now then the baby should be fine 9 months from now. I just read if you were taking regularly and got pregnant the risk is high but again that's Dr Google and not a professional.

Comment

Kerblynn,

Yes you should be ok if you stop now.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
        X