Tramadol in 2nd and 3rd trimester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tramadol in 2nd and 3rd trimester

I've been taking tramadol on and off for severe back pain (a condition I had before pregnancy). I didn' take it in the first trimester due to morning sickness and didn't seem to really need it. But as my pregnancy progressed my back problems got worse so I had to start taking tramadol late in my 2nd trimester daily about 50/mg to 100/mg (1-2, 50/mg pills) daily. Now in my third trimester I'm experiencing more pain and dosge has gone up on certain days to 150/mg (3, 50/mg pills) daily. My question is how will this effect the baby once I deliver? I'm 35wks now and my scheduled csection is scheduled for 39wks. Should I try to wean off and basically suffer the pain the last couple of weeks or will the baby have withdraw symptoms regardless and if so how bad? I plan on breastfeeding as well and I know I'm going to be given some type of pain meds for my csection so the baby will be exposed once again.

***Bump***

Comment

Babyg3,

Using Tramadol in the last trimester of your pregnancy would be a question for your OB to answer. Your infant could have withdrawals, but they can treat the infant if needed. As far as nursing goes the FDA came out with a warning about using Tramadol in breastfeeding mothers so Dr Hale raised the risk level from an L3-probably compatible, to an L4-possibly hazardous. There have been 9 cases of breathing problems with three reports of death that were associated with the use of this medication in the pediatric population when given directly to the children. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.86% of your dose if you are a normal metabolizer, but if you are a rapid metabolizer (a rare genotype, we would not know if you are or not unless you were tested) much more could be transferred via milk and could cause respiratory problems in the infant. No adverse effects have been reported through breastfeeding at this time, but if you decide to nurse use with caution. Wait at least 3 hours after a dose to nurse and monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate/apnea, pallor, constipation, not waking to feed/poor feeding.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center
      806-352-2519

Comment

Is there any data on how much it would take to cause withdrawls? In other words how much tramodal intake (dosage and duration) would it take for baby to experience withdraw? The plan is to start weaning off or lower dosge as much as possible before birth.

Comment

Babyg3,

That is difficult to say as everyone reacts differently. It appears your dose is relatively low. If you are able to taper even lower in the next 2 weeks that will help considerably. Unfortunately I am unable to predict if your infant will have withdrawal symptoms or not. Sorry.

Sandra Lovato R,N,
          InfantRisk Center
          806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
          X