Alprazolam and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alprazolam and Breastfeeding

I was just prescribed alprazolam 0.5-1mg PRN for panic attacks/ptsd until we get my sertraline to a good dose. I have a 3 week old that I'm pumping for along with supplementing with donor milk. I only make about 6-10 ounces of breastmilk a day and my infant never gets a full bottle of just my milk. He takes anywhere from 2-2.5 oz a feed, and normally it's just 0.5 oz to 1 oz of my pumped breastmilk per bottle. My doctor thought that was ok with this medication and we did try lorazepam and that didn't work as well for me.. I've been nervous so I've been pumping and dumping the last 4 days that I've had to take it. Wondering if this is a safe medication and if I have to pump and dump while taking it.

kdc2994,

Alprazolam (Xanax) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 8.5% of your dose. We think if the dose is kept low and your infant is not symptomatic it is probably ok to nurse with. You are supplementing with donor milk so that reduces how much of the medication your infant is exposed to already. If you are only using 0.5-1mg 1-2 times a day it is probably safe, but if you are using 0.5-1mg several times a day then that would probably be too much exposure to this medication. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, poor feedings and poor weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X