5-MTHF / L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate / Folate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-MTHF / L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate / Folate

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit to taking the converted form (5-MTHF) of folate while breastfeeding. It is a B vitmain and in a form that is able to be immediately used by the body as well as water-soluble.

My daughter is 2, but still nurses quite a bit. THere is 1,000 mg of folinic acid + 5-MTHF in my vitamin and my DR would like me to supplement with 5-MTHF increasing by 1,000 mg for 3 weeks for a total of 4,000 mg 5-MTHF.

I know the upper limit for folic acid is 1,000 mg, but that is synthetic and not converted. Anyone know if this is ok while breastfeeding 3x/day + 2x/night?

TIA

Dear EveG,

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) that is recommended by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for folic acid is 0.4 to 0.8 mg daily for breastfeeding mothers. Some people who are deficient or take medications that inhibit absorption of folic acid are usually prescribed 4 mg daily. The converted form should be the same dosage. The dosage of 4000 mg would be extremely high. You may want to clarify with your physician regarding the dosage. The dose of 4000 mcg (micrograms) which would be the same as 4 mg (milligrams). High doses of folic acid are not generally recommended during breastfeeding. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

5-MTHF / L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate / Folate

Thank you Cindy for the response. My mistake! I checked the label and was confused. I was asking regarding "only" 4 mg.

You said 4,000 mcg is 0.4 mg. Is this right? My prenatal has 1 mg: 500 mcg in one form and 500 mcg in another. So isn't 1,000 mcg = 1 mg? Just wanting to clarify.

I am said to have a genetic mutation that des not allow me to process folic acid or folate. With this information, is the 4 mg still too high? I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

EveG

Comment

Dear EveG,

You are right! One thousand mcgs equal 1 mg. Thanks for clarifying for other readers! Some people who are deficient or take medications that inhibit absorption of folic acid are usually prescribed 4 mg daily. This dose is compatible with breastfeeding in those cases.

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X