5-HTP FOR PMDD?? Nit sure where to post this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-HTP FOR PMDD?? Nit sure where to post this

Since having baby #2 my health is awful. It feels like 1 thing after mother. Just gt diagnosed with PMDD. Only ever had mild pms, but since getting my period back after having spencerin June 2012, I ave experienced severe messed up anger, mood swings, anxiety, binging, purging, etc. I'm already on Zoloft for post partum depression, at 50mg per day. And klonopin1mg at night and occasional Ativan 1mg at night also. It's 3 am now, clearly those medications do not help me sleep. Ths s obviously not working for my anger and episodes that last about 5 days every 5 or 6 weeks. It is very unpredictable bc I am exclusively nursing and he eats about 7-10x a day still.i don't even know why I got my period back. Dr recommended 5 htp, but everything online says no way while breastfeeding, is there any data on this? I am so desperate. I get so screwed up! My husband says he will leave me bc I get so mean and I swear I am like another person. Thank you

Dear Kerri,

5 HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is not recommended during breastfeeding. We do not have data on levels in breastmilk and due to the kinetics of the drug, it would be expected to enter milk easily. The effects toward the breastfed infant are unknown; therefore, use during breastfeeding is ill advised. You may want to talk with your physician about increasing your dose of Zoloft or trying another SSRI such as Lexapro. Other medications to talk with your physician about would be Abilify or Risperdal as they help with anger symptoms. If your physician suggests another medication, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 , CDT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X