Calcium and Vitamin D current recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium and Vitamin D current recommendations

A mom is tandem nursing and twice has had pieces of a tooth break off. She would like to know the current RDA for lactating mothers for both calcium and vitamin D.

Dear maplecrest,

The RDA for calcium during breastfeeding is 1300 mg daily and for vitamin D 400 to 600 IU/day. Excessive doses of vitamin D can produce elevated calcium levels in the breastfeeding infant so mothers should not exceed 10,000 IU/day. The mother may want to have vitamin D levels done as many women are deficient who do not get adequate levels of sun exposure. Vitamin D synthesis from sun exposure varies among ethnic groups. Vitamin D plays a vital role in calcium absorption. Also, make sure the mother is eating an adequate diet especially dairy products and vegetables and fruits and is taking her prenatal vitamins.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 07-19-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Hi,
      Vitamin D Fight against oral diseases as calcium. Thus it is also very much beneficial for strong teeth..

Comment

More info on Vitamin D Supplements

I am wanting to ask a few more questions about Vitamin D. I have been trying to call for a couple of days and there is no answer or answering machine. How can I contact you?

Comment

Annwest:

Keep trying, we're under heavy call volume and can't handle all the calls.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

RDA for Calcium for lactating women is 1300mg and Vitamin D is 600 units per day. She can have her D and/or calcium checked but it's unlikely that lack of either would cause this unless severely deficient but really I would think she needs to see a dentist.

Comment

Milk and milk products are the good source of the calcium and vitamin D.
              Take more milk. yogurt, cheese, and other milk products to get more calcium and vitamin D for the better bones health and body structure.
              Last edited by Culbert; 04-12-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X