Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRISDOL 50,000UNT capsules. and severe Vitamin D deficiency with no known causes yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRISDOL 50,000UNT capsules. and severe Vitamin D deficiency with no known causes yet

My measured levels are in the single digits currently so needless to say I am suffering greatly from symptoms commonly linked to rickets. I have been breast feeding my daughter now for 18 months...at least four times a day still to this point and even though I take a pre-natal vitamin and consume dairy and almond milk my levels are still low. I have been prescribed drisdol but I am worried from some of the research that I have done that my daughter will develop hypercalcimia (sp?) what are the risks to my daughter if I take this drug?

Angela:

At 18 months postpartum, the risk is nil. The volume of milk you produce is less and the amount of vitamin D that enters milk is negligible. I would not be overly concerned at "in your case".

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Dr. Hale,

Is your response to this previous post still stand with more research having been done? I've been prescribed 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D2 due to low levels and I have a 6 1/2 month old exclusively breastfed baby. Are there any concerns or risks, even minor?

Thank you in advance.
      Last edited by MNicole; 08-04-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

MNicole:

We are just getting ready to publish as case report of a mom who received 50,000 units daily by accident for 4 months. After numerous side effects, her plasma levels were exceedingly high (199 ng/mL), and "her infants were exceedingly high as well". This was really concerning and it required months or more of stopping Vitamin D before her (and her Infants) levels came down to normal.

Now this was daily vitamin D. If you are taking DAILY vitamin D at this dose, I would most certainly NOT suggest you continue to breastfeed.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Dr. Hale,

Thanks for your response. I checked with my doctor and she is prescribing ONE 50,000 IU caplet of Vitamin D2 to be taken once a week for 8 weeks. I know breastfed babies should get vitamin D in their diets through supplements so my baby gets a daily supplement of 400 IU's of Vitamin D daily. That would be in addition to my supplement, should I take it Do you think these circumstances would be safe for baby?

Additionally, websites like Kellymom.com discuss a study from 2015 led by Bruce Hollis, which found that a maternal supplementation of 6,400 IU/day of Vitamin D safely supplies breastmilk with enough vitamin D to satisfy the nursing infant's requirement. Do you agree with this finding? If I do take my supplement, maybe I could stop her supplement during that time, if this study is valid.

Lastly, how would my 50,000 IU caplet once a week transfer to my baby's daily or weekly intake of vitamin d and could it still result in unsafe levels in my baby taken once a week?

Thank so very much,

MNicole

Comment

MNicole:

I'd suggest you not use the daily supplement in the infant during this therapy, as your blood levels are going to be pretty high, and their'll be more in the milk as well. While supplementing with high levels such as 6,400 IU/day may sound great, I don't particularly agree with this dose. Every woman is different and who knows what the plasma levels will be in you, and your infant for long term therapy.

Thus, on the days you take the 50,000 IU dose, I'd avoid using any ORAL dose of 400 IU in the infant.

You might have your infant's vitamin D level taken a month after your start this therapy. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, but just be careful.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
            X