Foltabs 800 and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foltabs 800 and Breastfeeding

I am trying to determine whether it is safe to take prescription Foltabs 800 while nursing. Our pediatrician was concerned with a high level of B6 which she thinks could be harmful. My neurologist wasn't sure why B6 would be a problem. I believe there are 10mg of B6 in the Foltabs? and maybe 2.5 in my prenatal vitamin. I am worried it will hurt my baby but I have had daily migraines for 8 weeks now and I need some relief.

Is it a better idea to just take Riboflavin? (B2)? I believe my neurologist said 400 was okay.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, thanks for your post.

The National Academies of Science have published upper intake limits for B6 and Folate in pregnant women (see link at the bottom). They say is is safe to take up to 100 mg of B6 (pyridoxine) per day and 1000 mcg (micrograms) of folate per day at all stages of pregnancy. Make sure that the foltabs+your prenatal don't exceed the daily limit on folate. There is insufficient data available to tell how much B2 (riboflavin) would be toxic in your situation. However, I agree with your neurologist: 400 mg per day has been used successfully in pregnant women and the risk of adverse events is theoretically low.

NAS publication: http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/New%20Material/4_%20UL%20Values_Vitamins%20and%20Elements.pdf

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Foltabs 800 and Breastfeeding

Thank you-

If it is 100mg of B6 for pregnancy- is it different for breastfeeding? Or the same limit?

Comment

Same limit.

Comment

Working...
        X