metanx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metanx

A mom delivered 30 week twins and is taking Metanx for her MTHFR disorder. Is this ok for her to provide breastmilk to her twins? They are 2 days post delivery.

Lori Lindsey, RN IBCLC

Dear Lorirn,

Metanx contains, 3mg of L-methylfolate, 35mg of Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate, and 2mg of Methylcobalamin. It is probably okay to use this combination while breastfeeding.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

This Mom is also on Flagyl, Meropenm, lovenox. The mother baby laction consultants are withholding milk and as far as I can tell as well as our Neonatologist this is all ok in addition to the Metanx. Do you agree?

Lori Lindsey, RN IBCLC

Comment

Dear Lori,

Generally speaking all three are probably safe. What is the dose she is on?

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Dr Karim,
          As far as dosage goes, I am not sure on this. The mom today just told me they have switched her from meropenem to Ivanx. Her milk supply is very low as she had severe post partum bleeding that resulted in a hysterectomy. The majority of feedings have been formula.

Lori Lindsey, RN IBCLC

Comment

Dear Lori,

I could not find Ivanx in our database, do you have another name for it?

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
            InfantRisk Center

Comment

Oh my I misspelled it is Invanx, according to MMM it is an L2 along the same family as Meropenem.
              She is being treated for ESBL in her urine. She has one neg culture so far not sure as to the repeat or if there was one. We are doing contact isolation until the babies are discharged per our infection control department.
              Thank you for all of your help,
              Lori

Comment

Working...
              X