Camu Camu Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camu Camu Powder

Currently EBF 15 week old - can I take Camu Camu powder? Serving size is a tsp [url]https://navitasorganics.com/products/camu-powder[/url]

lpowl20,

Camu camu has no safety data even for adults so we are unable to advise the safety in breastfeeding and would not recommend using it while nursing.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

My mom asked me to take camu camu powder because it apparently has a good amount of vitamin c. She also sent me a link to this website [url]https://www.vitaminexpress.org/uk/[/url] that talks about its benefits but I'm not sure if camu camu is the best source for vitamin c. You can try drinking juices that have a high vitamin c content, or maybe take one of those cal1000 tablets that doctors recommend.

Comment

Hi Joeyy,

There is rarely satisfactory literature published on the safety of complementary therapy in breastfeeding women. It is not ethical for us to make a recommendation based on anecdotes. Also, herbal products are not regulated by the FDA and there can be significant variations in the potency and purity between different products or even between different lots of the same product. Herbs can also interact with each other and with prescription medications, so we tend to advise not taking them at all. As a general rule, breastfeeding is a time for simplicity. Focus on eating a balanced, nutritious diet and minimizing your use of extraneous stuff. When you do take a med or supplement, make sure that you're making that decision based on a clear understanding of the benefits you are likely to get.

If you have a balanced diet, chances are you're already getting enough Vitamin C. If you're taking a pre- or post-natal vitamin (or any multivitamin for that matter), you are surely getting plenty of Vitamin C. Keep in mind that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Vitamin C is water soluble, so if you have too much you should simply eliminate it in your urine--but this may not be true for camu camu as a whole.

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
        X