Vitamin D deficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D deficiency

Hello, I am still nursing my daughter who is 3 years old only twice at night to sleep. I have been diagnosed as being deficient in vitamin D for the last year. I have been taking vitamin d3 2000iu per day and at my latest check up my levels are still low ( I awaiting to see my gp to discuss the exact levels). I would like to know what is a safe dose of vit d3 for a breastfeeding mom, bearing in mind my daughter is 3 and only nursing twice a day. Thanks for all your great work you are such a valuable resource for breastfeeding mothers.

Chiara:

You can take a lot and still not change the amount in your breastmilk. We have a number of studies that suggest only minimal amounts of vitamin D transfer into milk, even following high doses ( 10, 000 IU/day).

In YOUR situation, with a 3 year old and infrequent breastfeeding, I wouldn't worry about almost any dose your physician might order. I can tell you right now that 2000 IU is not nearly enough to raise your level to the 40's. I'd suggest at least 5000 IU per day, but you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Tom Hale, Ph.d.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply. I will discuss with my doctor and see what she suggests, last time she discussed an injection of vitamin d. Would this be safe?

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Chiara:

You can take a lot and still not change the amount in your breastmilk. We have a number of studies that suggest only minimal amounts of vitamin D transfer into milk, even following high doses ( 10, 000 IU/day).

In YOUR situation, with a 3 year old and infrequent breastfeeding, I wouldn't worry about almost any dose your physician might order. I can tell you right now that 2000 IU is not nearly enough to raise your level to the 40's. I'd suggest at least 5000 IU per day, but you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Tom Hale, Ph.d.

Comment

Chiara:

The use of the injectable vitamin D3 seems a bit extreme. I'd be cautious breastfeeding following this injection for perhaps a few days, as I don't really know what the plasma levels would rise to following this procedure. If it were me, I'd first try higher and higher doses of oral vitamin D, maybe even 10,000 IU per day until your plasma D levels rise to above 40.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you. I have rejected the offer of an injection before on those basis purely on a little research and because I hate extreme measures. This gives me ammunition and information necessary to go to my meeting prepared. Thanks again for the information and time.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            Chiara:

Tom Hale, Ph.d.
            It is really nice reply given by admin, I am too searching for reply for this question.

Comment

Working...
            X