Sunless Tanner and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunless Tanner and breastfeeding

Hello, I was curious as to whether most sunless tanning creams are safe when breastfeeding? (Obviously I would not put anywhere near nipples) I would choose an organic without parabens but is the Dha harmful? Does it get into milk supply? Thank you!

Jj09,

Sunless tanning probably ok if you do not use on or around nipples or areola and you give it time to absorb say a couple of hours or so before feedings, or shower before feeding so your infant does not accidentally ingest any.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

I wouldn't use anything. Your skin is the largest organ of respiration, it's capabilities for absorption are vast. When injured soldiers were incapable of eating they found that they could adsorb nutrients through their skin. If you rub an onion on the heal of your foot you can smell it on your skin and taste it 1/2 hour later.

Not just that; there are seriously nasty ingredients in sunless tanning products. You definitely want to avoid anything with parabens (a preservative that they all use). Parabens have been found to be endocrine disruptors. Meaning they mimic or impede the bodies natural hormones. This is very dangerous for a babies immature endocrine system.

Comment

Working...
      X