Silvasorb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvasorb

I am currently nursing my 7 month old baby, and have a wound on my foot. I found out that iodine is not safe to use while breastfeeding, and my next option is silvasorb. Is that safe to use or should I just stick with bactroban?

Dear kelseywarner,

Silvasorb is a combination of silver and sulfadiazine. Dr. Hale states that silver is not absorbed through the skin, but sulfadiazine is partially absorbed. After prolonged therapy of large areas, sulfadiazine levels in plasma may approach therapeutic levels. Although sulfonamides are known to be secreted into human milk, they are not particularly problematic except in the newborn period. Since your child is older, unlikely to cause adverse effects. Mupirocin (Bactroban) is only minimally absorbed following topical application. In one study, less than 0.3% of a topical dose was absorbed after 24 hours. Most remained adsorbed in the corneum layer of the skin. The drug is absorbed orally, but it is so rapidly metabolized that systemic levels are not sustained. It is quite safe for breastfeeding mothers. In summary, either medication is probably safe for breastfeeding in your particular case. Bactroban would be the least absorbed through your skin. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X