This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keratin Hair Treatment

I work for a nurse advice line and a breastfeeding mother called in wanting to know if she could continue to breastfeed after receiving a keratin hair treatment. She did not provide the name of the product but did report that it contained formaldehyde. If the treatment is not recommended while breastfeeding she also wanted to know how long she should wait before resuming breastfeeding because she already received the hair service and was concerned. Thank you.

Txchill1:

Yes, the mom should be able to return to breastfeeding. I'd suggest she wait a few hours (3 at most). Formaldehyde is easily metabolized by the human and little would be absorbed from the skin.

Just have her wait a while before returning to breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hello,
      I received a Keratin hair treatment that contains 1% formaldehyde. The solution was in my hair for approximately 15 hours, but I think the main risk is while they flat iron your hair with the solution in and vapors come off. I am trying to have a child and am currently ovulating. Would this treatment have effects on the embryo at this point if I do get pregnant?
      Many thanks!

Comment

Dear cob,

Formaldehyde is a Class X (contraindicated) drug during pregnancy. Formaldehyde is rapidly destroyed by blood and tissue enzymes. Because your embryo (if you are pregnant) is not implanted into your uterus to be exposed to your blood system until seven to ten days after ovulation/fertilization has occurred, the likelihood that the embryo would be exposed to the formaldehyde would be low. Even though the risk is low, we would recommend not to be exposed to formaldehyde, if possible, while you are trying to conceive and during pregnancy.

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

I want to know which is the best hair treatment? If I am taking keratin hair treatment, is there any side effect from doing this? Please help me..

Comment

Dear janggeungulk,

I am afraid we can not recommend a specific product. There are so many products in the market that contain several different ingredients, it would be hard to say if this product is safe or not without a specific name or list of ingredients. Most hair products applied to the scalp and hair and then rinsed off are probably ok, because there would only be minimal absorption.

If the product you are using is only keratin then it is probably safe to use.

I hope this helps!!!

Sandra Lovato R.N.
            InfantRisk Center

Comment

My hairdresser told me that their keratin treatment is "all natural" is there such a thing?

Comment

keratin brazilian blowout

Hi there. I am trying to conceive and had a brazilian keratin blowout done soon after ovulation. But I didn't do my research before going, and now I am finding a lot of online searches warning of miscarriage if done while pregnant. Please advise if I have just messed up my chances of falling pregnant for the next 3/4 months as the product stays in your system for upto 4 months.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

I think it is highly unlikely to affect your chances of getting pregnant. I suspect that when they say it "stays in your system" for 4 months, they mean that it stays in your hair.

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Probably. We don't know much about the safety of using chemicals to perm or straighten your hair during pregnancy. Most chemical treatments are thought to be safe as it is likely that only a small amount of the product will soak into your scalp.

To be on the safe side, it may be better to stick to just one treatment during pregnancy, or avoid it altogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X