• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Cold sore medication

Kfoster thanks for posting,

Famcyclovir (elovax) is probably safe to use during breastfeeding. We give it a L3-probably compatible rating. We have no data on its transfer into human milk. Because famciclovir provides few advantages over acyclovir, at this point acyclovir would probably be preferred in a nursing mother although the side-effect profile is still minimal with this product.

Valacyclovir is probably safe to use in breastfeeding. We give it a L1-safest rating. Valacyclovir is rapidly metabolized to acyclovir which transfers to human milk. However, the levels in milk are miniscule compared to the clinical doses administered directly to infants. Acyclovir is quite safe for infants with few reported risks or side effects.

I hope this helps, if you have any other question please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Leave a comment:

• kfoster
    started a topic cold sore medications

cold sore medications

I have a new mum with a cold sore and asked me for information on Elovax and Vlatrex. Does anyone have any information on the use of these medications and their safety with breastfeeding
Working...
X