X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    scarlette106,

Tobradex should also be ok as an eye ointment as well.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• scarlett106
    replied
    I was just prescribed this today as well, but the ointment (not the eye drops). Does the same thing apply for the ointment? The doctor told me to put a little bit on my eye and massage it in to treat my condition. I'm nursing my 11 month old and am concerned because the Rx info said it's class C and not definitively safe. I'd be using it 4x/day for about 5 days.

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Joce3,

Tobradex is a combination drug of tobramycin and dexamethasone. Tobramycin is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.6% of your dose. Tobramycin is not absorbed orally so systemic levels are not expected in infants. Dexamethasone is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. There is little harm in taking dexamethasone while breastfeeding, unless it is used at high doses for prolonged periods of time. We have no data on its transfer into milk; it is probably similar to prednisone levels in milk which are low. The amount transferred through an eye drop would be very minimal so it is probably ok to continue breastfeeding.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• Joce3
    started a topic Tobradex

Tobradex

I was prescribed Tobradex for what the doctor said were allergies when I thought I had an infection. I'm to instill 1 drop in each eye four times daily for 30 days. Is it safe to continue breastfeeding during use of this medicine?
Working...
X