Celestone, benadryl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestone, benadryl

I had a sudden hearing loss. My Doctor gave me a shot of celestone and told me to dump my milk for 5 days. Additionally told me to take benadryl for those days as well. Do I need to dump for those 5 days ?

Ambernicole630,

Celestone is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. With high doses (>40 mg/day), particularly for long periods, steroids could potentially produce problems in an infants growth and development. Brief applications of high dose steroids are probably not contraindicated as the overall exposure is low. The half-life of this medication is 5.6 hours. A one time injection should not pose a problem, if you are unsure of the dose wait 1 half-life of 5 1/2 hours to reduce how much medicine the infant will receive.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.7-1.4% of your dose. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Diphenhydramine is probably safe to use during breastfeeding since the amount transferred is low. Take this medication right after breastfeeding so you have a longer break before feeding again. Monitor for sedation, poor feedings, dry mouth, and constipation, we have had a few reports from moms that this medication reduced their milk supply. A better alternative for an antihistamine that is non-sedating would be Claritin.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X