Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acute urticaria

Please Help
    We have baby girl 15 month on breastfeeding in the morning but mainly at night and during sleep, but also sometimes during day , and my wife has an Acute urticaria in responce to some medications, she received

1st Day: was the begining of the attack for the first time like (++) ,she got Solu-Cortef IV injection (100 mg Hydrocortisone sodium succinate) + Avil IV injection (45.5 mg Pheniramine hydrogen maleate)
    then the reaction went down

2nd Day: at 5 pm it came back (++) and took oral antihistaminic but the reaction got more and more (++++) ,so at 10 pm took Solu-Cortef IV injection (100 mg Hydrocortisone sodium succinate) + Dexamethasone IV ( 8mg Dexamethasone sodium phosphate )

3rd Day: at 1pm reaction came back (++), got Solu-Cortef IV injection (100 mg Hydrocortisone sodium succinate) ,Ranitidine 300 mg oral at 3 pm , Allear oral ( levocitrizine 5mg ) at 8 pm
    reaction was calm at night

4th Day: in the morning got Fexodine oral (180 mg Fexofenadine HCl ) ,but at 1 pm reaction (++) ,got Dexamethasone IV ( 8mg Dexamethasone sodium phosphate ) + Ranitidine 300 mg oral ,but the reaction came back at midnight (++) and got again Dexamethasone IV ( 8mg Dexamethasone sodium phosphate ) + Avil IV injection (45.5 mg Pheniramine hydrogen maleate)

5th Day (today) : in the morning got Fexodine oral (180 mg Fexofenadine HCl ) ,but afternoon reaction came back (++) ,took Solupred oral ( 5 mg Prednisolone ) + Ranitidine 300 mg oral ,then reaction was controlled and calm, at 7 pm took Allear oral ( levocitrizine 5mg ) , at 10 pm took Trictine oral antihistaminic ( 4 mg Cyproheptadine HCl ), but after midnight the reaction came back (++) and got Dexamethasone IV ( 8mg Dexamethasone sodium phosphate )

It's planed now to continue on
    in the morning Fexodine oral (180 mg Fexofenadine HCl ) + Solupred oral ( 5 mg Prednisolone ) "which maybe increased if it's not controlled"
    afternoon Ranitidine 300 mg oral
    at night Allear oral ( levocitrizine 5mg ) + Trictine oral antihistaminic ( 4 mg Cyproheptadine HCl )
    and on emergency Dexamethasone IV ( 8mg Dexamethasone sodium phosphate )

Note: by saying (++) I mean there is more than one lesion in at least 4 parts of the body and increasing ,also involving the joints pain ,so we give corticosteroid in presence of progressive lesions only

So please tell me about : 1- the doses already taken from the 1st day till now will affect our baby growth?
    2: it looks like the treatment will take longer time than expected ,do we have to wean now ,or what to do ?

sona868:

Because your child is now 15 months old, the volume of milk transferred is probably quite low. Thus, the dose of these drugs transferred via milk is even lower. I really doubt these drugs taken thus far will have any effect whatsoever on your infant. The transfer of Steroids into human milk is very poor. Thus they are unlikely to effect even a newborn infant via milk, much less one of 15 months.

I would not be overly concerned if the doses are not consistently high, or prolonged (months), in THIS situation with a 15 month old infant. If you notice sedation in the infant, or GI distress, then just start substituting formula slowly.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
    X