Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luxiq- topical corticosteroid for itchy scalp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annwest83
    replied
    I wondered if the topical use-the shampoos with tea tree in it- had the same effect as ingesting it. Thank you so much for all of the information! Shampoo it is!

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Ann:

We don't know much about tea tree oil ingestion. I'd be cautious about using it without absolute evidence of efficacy.

This is what I placed in my upcoming edition.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Tee tree oil (TTO), as derived from Melaleuca alternifolia, has recently gained popularity for its antiseptic properties. The essential oil, derived by steam distillation of the leaves, contains terpin-4-ol in concentrations of 40% or more.[1] TTO is primarily noted for its antimicrobial effects without irritating sensitive tissues. It is an antimicrobial when tested against Candida albicans, E. coli, S. Aureus, Staph. epidermidis, and pseudomonas aeruginosa. In several reports it is suggested to have antifungal properties equivalent to tolnaftate and clotrimazole. Although the use of TTO in adults is mostly nontoxic, the safe use in infants is unknown. Use directly on the nipple is not recommended. In one case, ingestion of about 10 mL of tea tree oil caused ataxia and fussiness in a 17 month old baby.[2]

1.##Review of Natural Products Ed: Facts and Comparisons 1997.
    2.##Tea tree oil. In: AltMedDex® Evaluations Database [Internet database]. Greenwood Village, Colo: Thomson Reuters (Healthcare) Inc. Updated periodically. Accessed 7-18-2011.

Leave a comment:

• Annwest83
    replied
    I know that probably sounded silly. I meant the ingestion of the tea tree oil, not the shampoo.

Leave a comment:

• Annwest83
    replied
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Ann:

I don't think I'd worry about the topical application of Tea tree shampoo.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Leave a comment:

• Annwest83
    replied
    Great!

That is great! I also was curious is I am able to use a tea tree shampoo for maintanance? I see a lot of conflicting information online on whether it is safe or not. Some sites say that it can affect hormone leveles in the baby but I am not sure if it is when it is ingested or used topically. Can you give me some direction on this as well?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Annwest83:

Luxiq is a topical steroid, betamethasone valerate. It should be no problem for a breastfeeding mother or infant. Virtually none is absorbed from the skin, and even if it were, little enters milk.

Tom Hale

Leave a comment:

• Annwest83
    started a topic Luxiq- topical corticosteroid for itchy scalp?

Luxiq- topical corticosteroid for itchy scalp?

My dermatologist recently prescribed me with this topical corticosteroid called Luxiq for my extremely itchy scalp. I am breastfeeding and I am unsure of whether I should use it or not. The doctor seemed somewhat dismissive when I asked her if it was okay while breastfeeding.
    What are the risks of it passing through to my breastmilk? What is the risk to my baby if it does pass through? Are there any better alternatives?
    Thanks!
Working...
X