Bells palsy.... steriods and antiviral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bells palsy.... steriods and antiviral

woke up and fance is paralized. er dr put me on steriods and an antiviral. I am breastfeeding a 2 month old. Only supposed to be on the meds one week. pediatrican and dr want me to pump and dump and won't give me a time frame. My lil man just hates formula. the meds are Methylprednisolone usp 4 mo and acyclovir 400mgtab ranbaxy

face* sorry typing with baby in arms unhappy

Comment

Dear Kayla,

Steroids such as methylprednisolone are probably compatible with breastfeeding as long as the doses are low, and they are taken for short periods of time such as one or two weeks. For doses less than 80 mg, no interruption of breastfeeding is necessary. If the dose is over 80 mg, the recommendation is to pump and discard for 24 hours. If steroids have to be used for extended periods such as a month or longer, then there is a potential for untoward effects on the breastfeeding infant such as decreased growth, stomach ulcers, and glaucoma.
      Acyclovir is also probably compatible with breastfeeding. Acyclovir is given to newborns at high doses with only minor side effects. The amount of acyclovir that enters breast milk is 1.1 % to 1.5 % of your dose which is a very small amount. The time acyclovir is most concentrated in your milk is 1 1/2 to 2 hours after your dose so try to avoid that feeding time if you can and that will decrease the amount the baby is exposed to. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open from 8 to 5 Monday through Friday Central Daylight Savings Time.

Sincerely,
      Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
      TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
      X