Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budesonide for ulcerative colitis

Hi there,

My bowel has been bleeding for 2 weeks, am assuming I am having a flare up of my UC. Was diagnosed Jan 13 and this is the first time. My doctor prescribed Budesonide 3mg capsules to use in the event of a flare up, although I have been hesitant due to breastfeeding both my 7month old and my 3 year old. Having googled both Prednisolone and Budesonide, I've noticed that they both have a half-life of 2-3 hours, so would it be safe to assume that I can take Budesonide straight after the boys' morning feed and then allow 4 hours until the following feed?

Am also taking Mesalazine 400mg, two tablets three times a day.

Many thanks in advance

Forgot to say that the dosage prescribed to me is 3mg x3 daily for 2 months, then 3mg x2 daily for one month, then 3mg x1 daily for one month.

Comment

Dear Itgirino1,

Budesonide orally administered should present minimal risk to the breastfed infant. The effect of budesonide oral is mainly local in the GI tract, minimal levels are detected in plasma. Thus, transfer to milk is probably minimal. There have been no reports of adverse effects in breastfed infants. Nevertheless, observe for impaired bone growth.

It does have a half life of 2-3.6 hours, if you avoid breastfeeding during that time that would definitely help in decreasing the amount transferred into your milk.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
      InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
      X