Colifoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colifoam

[First,my apologies for re-posting a similar post but my original post in the Forum for Moms with Special Condition - Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Colifoam and Breastfeeding could not be accessed and tried as I might, I do not know how to contact the administrator to correct it. I can see that Sandra has replied, which I am extremely grateful, but I think more will benefit if the post could be visible on the forum. Hence, this re-post]

I have ulcerative colitis, a condition that is uncommon in my country, Singapore. Such forums are therefore a much appreciated resource. I would like to ask if Colifoam rectal foam is compatible with breastfeeding. I take one full applicator of Colifoam rectal foam daily in the evening. One full applicator contains approximately 90mg hydrocortisone acetate. Most of what I read online is not conclusive and advises that users discuss the use of colifoam during breastfeeding with their doctor.

My general surgeon's view is that it is safe to use Colifoam while breastfeeding. He however recommended that I stopped breastfeeding if I am on Colifoam and Pentasa. As I am keen to resume breastfeeding (after 67 long days of pumping and dumping), we are now choosing to use only Colifoam on an as-needed basis (for a 1 - 2 weeks each time) and not together with Pentasa.

UCMominSG,

Short term use of 1-2 weeks at a time is probably ok to nurse on. Monitor your infant for growth and appropriate weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X