X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    CLaird,

Only small amounts of steroids pass into breast milk. The fact that you waited several hours to nurse afterwards reduces the amount your infant is exposed to. I think you are ok to wait the 12 hours and then nurse.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• CLaird
    started a topic Lumbar Epidural Injections/SI Joint Injections

Lumbar Epidural Injections/SI Joint Injections

I have two badly herniated discs in the lumbar spine area, as well as tremendous SI joint pain, and have been exclusively breastfeeding my 6 month old. Two weeks ago I received two epidural injections of Dexamethasone totaling I believe 8 mg. Just today I received an intra articular injection into my SI joint of Kenalog 40 mg. With the first two Dexamethasone injections I pumped and dumped for 8 hours. With the second Kenalog SI joint injection I just got today, I was advised to pump and dump for 12 hours which I am doing. Is it safe for me to continue to breastfeed after 12 hours? Is there any chance of systemic absorption of these “localized” injections? I only worry as upon further research there is a link of growth and development issues of the baby with corticosteroids. I worry about the effects these corticosteroid injections will possibly have on my baby especially in regards to his growth, especially since they were given in such close succession to each other in a short period of time. As a side note, his weight gain/height from 4 months to 6 months has been pretty low anyways.
Working...
X