Restoril

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoril

Hi. I am taking 15mg restoril a night for sleep. How long do I need to wait before I can breastfeed the next day? It works much better for me than other meds, including ambien.
    THanks.

Dear tjo,

Restoril (temazepam) is a short acting benzodiazepine that belongs to the Valium family of medications. One study on Restoril found that the drug was undetectable in 9 out of 10 babies whose mothers took between 10 to 20 mg of Restoril at bedtime. The half-life (time it takes for half of the dose to be excreted from the body) of Restoril is between 9.5 to 12 hours. The time that Restoril would be most concentrated in your breastmilk would be at 2 to 4 hours after you take your dose. The baby should be monitored for signs of sedation such as difficulty awakening, not breastfeeding vigorously, etc. Baby's who are less than one month old or who are premature are at greater risk of sedation and complications such as apnea and should be monitored closely. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi, I am still nursing my 23 month old. I usually nurse her before bed and in the mornings, although sometimes in the middle of the night. Would it be ok for me to occasionally use Restoril? I was prescribed it before my pregnancy PRN, but I can ask my psychiatrist for something better/different if this drug is a problem.

Comment

Michellerw:

Please call our hotline, 806-352-2519 for a closer evaluation of your use of Restoril.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X