Lidocaine And Valium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lidocaine And Valium

My son will be three months old when I need to have an outpatient procedure done to remove skin cancer from an area on my nose. This will be a two part procedure - one day for the removal of the skin cancer using what is called the Mohs procedure and the following day to have a plastic surgeon do a skin graft for the wound closure.

For both days, they are wanting me to take one dose of Valium prior to coming in. On the first day with the Mohs procedure, they want to use Lidocaine as a local anesthetic. This procedure is done over the course of several hours and it all just depends on how many rounds it takes to remove all of the skin cancer. If all goes well, they could remove all of the skin cancer in the first round and I would be done. If it takes several attempts, they may have to administer the Lidocaine again if it wears off. On the second day with the skin graft, they will also be using Lidocaine, but I will only be given one dose as the procedure takes about an hour.

Will it be safe to nurse my son during and after these procedures? Do I need to wait some time for the medications to wear off before resuming nursing? My son is exclusively breastfed and nurses very frequently throughout the day due to acid reflux. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I am happy to provide more information if needed. Thank you so much!

sf2015:

The small amount of lidocaine involved in this procedure is far far too small to cause complications in an infant. We have data on lidocaine and it doesn't enter milk very well. I'd suggest you wait until the local sensation returns, then go back to breastfeeding, say maybe 4-6 hours.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
    X