Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambien 5 mg

Hi,
    I have a 6 week old and debilitating insomnia. I was just started on ambien 5 mg. Last night was my first dose. I EBF. I was told this is safe. Last night I took the ambien at 8 and my son woke up at 1230 and 530 to eat. Is this a problem for my son?

Ambien is not recommended to take with newborns or younger babies. If you need to take this medication on occasion, you could supplement during the night with unmedicated stored breastmilk or formula, and resume breastfeeding the next morning. Monitor infant for sedation, slow breathing rate, apnea, or poor feedings.

Sally Bain RN
    Infant Risk Center

Comment

That is very conflicting in compared to what I have been told. So even with the short half life and 5 hours from my dose to when I feed him next it is not recommended?

Comment

In general, we do not recommend most sleep aides for newborns or younger babies. Ambien does have a shorter half life of 5 hours, but other factors may need to be taken into consideration. You can call the Infant Risk center 806-352-2519 and we can discuss this in more detail.

Sally Bain RN
        Infant Risk Center

Comment

Working...
        X